This is one of my favourite chocolate desserts to serve to guests or to bring to an event. Everyone is surprised that it contains no dairy, wheat or eggs.
When serving on individual plates I like to warm berries on the stove with a little bit of honey and drizzle over each individual piece.
The filling can also be used as a delicious pudding.
You can add a little mint for a lovely mint flavour and garnish with mint leaves instead of berries.
Chocolate Mousse PiePrint Recipe
- Crust: 1 cup raw almonds
- 3 Medjool dates
- Honey or Maple syrup – just enough to hold crust together
- Filling: 4 ripe avocadoes
- 16 soft, fresh dates, pitted
- 2 heaping tbsp. organic cocoa powder or you can use 2 scoops of Complete Chocolate Shake Powder Mix (more for a richer chocolate flavour)
- 3-6 tbsp. raw honey or maple syrup (to taste)
- Topping: Warm fresh organic berries (you can add a little raw honey or maples syrup if you like)
Grind almonds in a food processor, add dates and mix until texture is uniform. Add a little honey or maple syrup until mixture sticks together. Press into an 8-inch round pie pan. For a thicker crust just double ingredients.
Cut avocado in half, remove pit and scoop flesh into a food processor. Add dates, cocoa powder (or Complete powder) and sweetener and blend until completely smooth. Taste and add more sweetener if desired.
Pour filling into prepared crust and refrigerate at least a couple of hours.
Serve with fresh berries, mashing a little with fork to form a chunky sauce, adding sweetener if desire.
Thank-you to Carolyn Dupont who shared this amazing recipe with me years ago in one of her wonderful cooking classes!